Previous article: VMware vRealize Operation 6.7 upgrade experience
2018.09.20 – VMware vRealize Operation Manager 7.0 is available to download! 🙂 In this short article, I will continue my vRealize Operation X upgrade experience series.
Pre Upgrade Assessment Tool (APUAT) and prepare your environment
Create vRealize Operation Content Validation Report, and verify that your environment (Dashes, Alerts…) is compatibility with Operation Manager v. 7.0
- Log in to the admin page
- Under Software update menu, browse APUAT-126.96.36.19947454.pak file, and upload it
- The installation process will begin
- You can download the report from Support page under “Support Bundles” tab
- Unzip the downloaded file and open .\cluster_CLUSTERID_IPADDRESS\apuat-data\report\index.html to the report
- Check up on metrics, dashes, alert… Click to impacted metric, you will forward to vRealize Operations 6.7 Discontinued/Disabled Content and Replacement Recommendations page, where you find more information about how to change metric.
Upgrade OS first
!!! Before you install the PAK file or upgrade your vRealize Operations Manager instance, clone any customized content to preserve it. Customized content can include alert definitions, symptom definitions, recommendations, and views. Then, during the software update, you select the options named Install the PAK file even if it is already installed and Reset out-of-the-box content
!!! Make sure your last backup from vRealize Operation is available, and backup was created successfully.
- Log in to Admin page (https://<master-node-FQDN-or-IP-address>/admin) and take offline the cluster
- Create snapshot from all node in the cluster
- Uncheck the Snapshot the Virtual Machine Memory check box
- Uncheck the Ensure Quiesce Guest File System (Needs VMware Tools installed) check box
- Click “Software Update” menu in the left panel
- Hit “Install a Software Update” button and select OS pak file (vRealize_Operations_Manager-VA-OS-188.8.131.5298132.pak), use default settings
- Click upload icon, and wait a few minutes, depends on your network speed
- End of staging process, follow the wizard, then click the Install button
- You can check the process when you click little note icon before status row.
- End of the OS update process, VM(s) will restart. Check the status in the console window.
- After restart be patience and check the status of the installation. If you see on the System Status page “Installation is progress” the upgrade process is working on the background.
- You will see a similar picture in your environment when the upgrade process is successfully done.
Virtual Appliance (Operation Manager) upgrade
Same story as OS upgrade 🙂
- Log in to Admin page (https://<master-node-FQDN-or-IP-address>/admin)
- Take offline the cluster
- Click Install a software upgrade button under Software update menu
- Browse Appliance update pack file (vRealize_Operations_Manager-VA-184.108.40.20698132.pak)
- Select Install the PAK file even if it is already intsalled and Reset Default Content
- You will see a similar alert message, fill the box under the message, and click ok
- Upload is successful, PAK file is valid, click next, and follow the wizard
vRealize Operation update is done! 🙂
Don’t forget to remove snapshot(s)!